Dear All,

This is an interesting topic. I write from the perspective of an
independent curator who has worked with interns at a variety of
different museums and had independent interns as research assistants on
various projects.

Is love of history enough for interns? Perhaps it is enough to get them
in the door to offer their time. The value of internship is that it
affords the youths an opportunity to see the huge amount of unglamorous
work necessary to plan a show or event or even to just keep the doors
open and the lights on.

Maybe it would be best for the students to have internships their first
year of college so they would see the real day-to-day life they'd be
leading as//a museum professional/before/ they become entranced in the
the ever-fascinating study and research of a discipline and spend tens
of thousands of dollars on tuition. I have seen many cases where
/excellent/ /students/ become repulsed and depressed when confronted
with the reality that every workday will not be spent authoring a major
text or researching wonderful objects. They tend to change their majors....

A delicate, but essential first step in an internship is making it clear
that they will be learning, but, /work is not the same as school./
Academic situations these days sometimes seem pressured into assuming a
certain element of "infotainment" - wherein information is being
conveyed, but it must be in an interesting manner that the students find
entertaining and enjoyable. If they don't think they'd like something,
they don't have to try doing it...... Work, is mission-driven. One does
whatever needs done to help reach the goal. One learns by doing and
learns by observing others' behavior. An internship is not 15 weeks of
paid day-care in a cultural milieu.

The students with whom I have worked have always been well versed in
history, research, and academic writing/already/, so I have tried to
offer them work to do that would give them the unglamorous, but totally
necessary skills that will set them apart from their other bright,
well-studied peers when applying for entry-level jobs: writing
jargon-free one page press releases for the general public; writing
succinct jargon-free cover or inquiry letters; compiling bibliographies
in perfect CMS style; researching and obtaining reproduction rights;
accurately compiling photo credits, acknowledgements and drafting thank
you notes; re-formatting material from a variety of sources - texts,
photos, etc. into useful reference material; reading, editing and
fact-checking anything written in the office; rescaling and formatting
photo images; filing and organizing material; and especially, checking
and re-checking the correct spelling of peoples' names, foundations
names, donor names - everything regarding getting the boring basic (but
essential) details accurate, etc. Also, the basics of always being
prompt, meeting deadlines /no matter what/, and realizing that one must
patiently re-do and re-work projects over and over and over again. If
they aren't more adept at computer programs than I am, - the basics-
Word, Exel, Photoshop - I insist that they get up to speed, or indicate
that they will perish out in the "real world."

They are not usually excited at first, but most of them (who proved to
be serious and who /did love history enough/) were quick to see that
they were gaining the power of organizing a book from end to end, or
being able to gracefully approach a lender, or learning all the other
things that will make them indispensable. And they have had a very good
track record of getting their first jobs.

In return for the interns' efforts, I feel responsible to be forever
after "on call" to listen, encourage, advise, and write endless numbers
of reference letters. It is a pleasure to see them flourish.

Good luck to you, Christa, and all your young charges.

Larry List
303 Park Avenue South
New York, New York
#315            10010