perhaps the mfg of Marvelseal could help you?

http://www.coatedproducts.com/web/SiteBuilder/NewCoaISBv1r0.nsf/FLV/index

Best wishes, Barbara, retired librarian

-----Original Message-----
From: Shannon Lindridge <[log in to unmask]>
To: MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Mon, Apr 9, 2012 12:30 pm
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] wooden shelving

Hello all!

The institution I work for is looking into buy enamel baked bulk shelving which
requires a wood decking of sorts. My question is twofold:

What types of wood decking are considered safe for museum storage?

And, whatever type of wood I use I want to seal it.  I have seen the comparisons
of marvelseal to household aluminum foil, but does anyone have any knowledge if
aluminum vapor barrier sold in hardware stores is safe?  For example I found a
site called atticfoil.com which sells a solid aluminum vapor barrier with a
layer of polyethylene scrim sandwich between two layers of 99% pure foil.  Also,
whether I go with Marvelseal or this vapor barrier I found, should I paint the
wood first to add an additional layer of protection?  Will marvelseal bond to
painted surfaces?

Thanks ahead of time for all help!

--Shannon Lindridge

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ .
You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one
line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message
should read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).