Hi Faye,

I think one of the inherit issues with scents in exhibits has to do with
the execution of the scent itself. I've seen many interactives and
ambient scents in exhibitions that use essential oils and other natural
materials to produce the scent. These are problematic for several
reasons, one of which is allergic reactions. Other issues are the oils
tend to dry out and other natural materials can decompose or begin to
break down, also causing problems. I specifically mentioned in my prior
post Larane Wasserman at Escential Resources because her method uses dry
media and the scents are synthetic thus avoiding the very issues you
bring up. Another advantage to using synthetic scents is that the scent
is designed to bring out the essential components that a guest would
associate with that smell or environment. By approaching the smell this
way, one does not have to rely on the notion of using a "strong" or
overwhelming scent in order to achieve the desired effect.

In either case, I was also trying to make the point that introducing
ambient scents such as those suggested by Caitlyn in her original
question, are often better introduced as a contextual "background" scent
or combination of scents as in Caitlyn's examples (in this case a
"strong scent" would be overpowering), instead of the guest having to
engage in a contrived interaction. As with any "interactive" I would ask
what is the purpose and, why am I asking the guest to engage in this
activity? If the activity is intended to draw the guest's attention to
specific characteristics of a scent, to compare scents, or perhaps the
scent is undesirable (like rotting meat), then the interactive makes
sense. If the scent is there to provide context to a scene or theme, I
would go back to having it be an ambient experience.

Best,

Larry