My museum is part of a system which includes 4 museums, 8 monuments and several specific-function support divisions. We have one collections management policy for everyone. Each collecting entity has a collecting policy which outlines what they specifically collect (very different from each other). This is not included in the collections management policy. There are sections of the policy which don't pertain to every museum. There's a Native American museum so we have a section on NAGPRA which doesn't really pertain to my museum (but could theoretically). The policy also covers Nazi-era looted art which is directly relevant to my museum but not so much to the Native American museum.

Nothing in a joint policy should be disregarded by the other museum/location. It just might not be so relevant. But you never know when something out of the ordinary will pop up and that joint policy might just cover it.

I'd be happy to send my collections policy if that helps.

-Michelle

Michelle Gallagher Roberts
Chief Registrar
New Mexico Museum of Art