The mission of the Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies (SCEMS) is to interpret the collective knowledge of the Smithsonian and serve as a gateway to the Institution's education resources. Through research, publishing, and staff development programs for the education and museum communities, the Center promotes the understanding and use of museums.

As the central office of education, The Smithsonian Center for Education and Museum Studies (SCEMS) is well-positioned to give interns a broad overview of the Smithsonian Institution, introductions to the wide variety of work that museum and education professionals here are involved in, and an opportunity to participate in a deeper level with special projects. (If you are interested in interacting with students and the public in a daily museum-setting, you should consider applying directly to an education internship at one of the museums.)

We are located in Washington, D.C. and are metro-accessible. Our internships are unpaid, but we will work with your school if you’d like to receive credit.

Our highly competitive program has the following opening:

SUMMER 2012 - Evaluation Research and Audience Development
Interns implement evaluation projects for education programs across the entire Smithsonian Institution. Assist with different phases of evaluation projects – conceptualization, collection and analysis of data, & report results to different audiences; Statistical analysis and collection and analysis of qualitative data. Advanced level undergraduate or graduate student with experience and interest in museum and program evaluation.  Evaluation, anthropology or sociology background. At least 3 days per week or 20 + hours. Flexible schedule, but a 6 month commitment to the project is preferred.

Eligibility
Qualifications vary depending upon the project, but most are for upper-level undergraduate and graduate students. Student status, however, is not a prerequisite. Opportunities are generally not available for high school students.

Security
All interns are required to undergo a security background investigation and fingerprinting through the Office of Protection Services before they are accepted into the program.

How to Apply
Please apply using the Smithsonian online application system https://solaa.si.edu. Paper applications will not be considered.

Please be aware that complete applications must include the following:
- Resume

- Academic transcripts (unofficial are acceptable)
- Essay to tell us how the internship will advance your academic and career goals

- 2 letters of reference either uploaded by you or by your reference (or a combination)

Essential Tips for the Online Application: We’re Paperless!

• Do NOT click submit on your application until all necessary components are uploaded (i.e. transcripts, essay, resume). Once submitted, you cannot upload or change anything within the application. You can however, save and return to your application during the process of applying, before submitting.
• An unofficial or official transcript can be uploaded by first scanning the document and saving it as a .pdf or .jpeg. Please do not mail the transcript separately.
• In the Reference Letter section, make sure that you click the “send email” button, and that you enter your reference’s e-mail address correctly. This triggers the system to email your referees with instructions for uploading the reference letter. Please advise your reference of this in advance.

Deadlines are rolling, however we begin an internal review of applications for positions after the following dates:
• Spring (January – May) October 15th
• Summer (June – August) February 1st
• Fall (September – December) July 15th

Questions
If you have any questions about the application process or SCEMS’ internships, please send inquiries to [log in to unmask]. If you have questions concerning the SOLAA application, please go to the Help section on the SOLAA website. You will be able to check your application status online. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted, generally within 3-4 of the posted deadline.