Good Morning John,

First, I need to say that I don’t know anything about the JHU MA program in Museum Studies (read: I have never had the opportunity to work with a graduate of that program).

That being said, as a someone who has been hiring museum staff (from: Directors to Janitors) since the mid-1970s, I am always looking for young professionals who are TRAINED museographers…..over, EDUCATED museologists.  Successful candidates for museum jobs are those candidates who can perform all of the job’s duties on the first day they start work.  The reality is that employers do not have the time or resources to train staff to do the basic core duties of their jobs.  Unfortunately, more often than not, I am seeing graduates of museum studies programs, who are well-educated and well-versed in the museum studies literature, but are not trained in the elementary nuts-and-bolts of “doing” the job, for which they are applying.

My suggestion is that in order to establish the relative value of a specific museum studies program, you should ask mid-level and upper-level museum supervisors and managers for their opinions on the job performance of the graduates of the museum studies program, for which you are considering spending a large sum of money for tuition, etc….

That’s my two pence!

Best Wishes!

Wesley

Wesley S. Creel

Administrator of Programs

Pink Palace Family of Museums

3050 Central Avenue

Memphis, TN 38111

www.memphismuseums.org

Office 901.636.2370  new telephone number

FAX 901.636.2391  new FAX number

Please consider including the Pink Palace Family of Museums in your charitable giving plans

along with your other charitable interests.

Please visit all our great facilities as well as our website: www.memphismuseums.org Our mission: The Pink Palace Family of Museums inspires people to learn how history.science, technology and nature shape the mid-South. Through rich collections, thought-provoking exhibitions, and engaging programs, we encourage our diverse community to reflect on the past, understand the present, and influence the future