  From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Mike Csontos
  Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 11:44 AM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Exploding Lightbulbs - cause and prevention?

  I've had three explosions of small non-halogen incandescent lamps at home
and one at the museum where I volunteer. These are 60 watt candelabra bulbs
used in chandeliers of the type GE 60CAC CD4 (though I don't know if they
were all GE).

  My theory is that when they burn out, the break in the filament strikes an
arc, vaporizing the filament, producing enough gas to cause the bulb to
explode because of the small space in the miniature lamp for it to expand
and cool.

  One factor would be high line voltage, increasing the chance of an arc on
burnout; also the short life. My home line voltage had been running about
10% above normal and sometimes high enough for me to call the power company
to have it reduced. They said it was a faulty regulator. It has been
replaced, and
  no explosions since.

  Another factor might be high inductance in the line. This would help
sustain an arc. My house is fed through two transformers (overhead hi line
to underground feed to line voltage). I don't know about the museum's line
voltage but the power feed is similar to mine. The museum also has had
several failures of electronic fluorescent lamp ballasts.

  If you continue to have problems I would have an electrician or a power
company representative check line voltage, line impedance, and power factor
at the circuit you are using.

  Or use another type of lamp.

  Mike Csontos
  AWA Museum
  Bloomfield NY

  In a message dated 2/29/2012 8:55:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,