From: "Curtis, Nan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, February 23, 2012 1:01:18 PM
Subject: door between museums

I have a strange predicament and seek assistance/information from the listserv

The Forsyth Center Galleries is a collecting art gallery housed in the student union at Texas A&M University.  Our funding is exclusively from an endoment -- we recieve no funding from the univesity -- yet we are administrated by the student union, and I, the director of the museum, report to the student union director.

In addition to the Forsyth, there is a student program committee that coordinates exhibitions on their own.

The student union is nearing the end of a renovation project and the Forsyth exhibition spaces are now adjacent to a small gallery to be operated by the student program.

The student union director has insisted that there be a door between the Forsyth exhibition space and the student gallery, which must be open (not only unlocked, but open) at all times.  "I don't see the sense of people having to walk out of one gallery in order to enter another"  and "There needs to be a unified art presence in the union."

I am seeking feedback regarding the benefits/detriments of this scenario.  I have a number of arguments of my own, yet have indicated to the student union director that I would seek out objective data from peers.

Please do take a moment to respond, either on or off list.  I greatly appreciate all input.

Nan Curtis

Director

Forsyth Center Galleries

Texas A&M University