From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Johanna Goldfeld
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 10:10 AM
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] dimension conventions (height by width?)

Hi listers,

Does anyone know (or have a theory about) the rationale and/or history behind the museum convention of listing the dimensions of artwork as "height by width" (rather than "width x height")?

The standard in printing and paper is "width x height," so as a designer working with museums
I find myself frequently having to "translate" dimensions, when speaking with curators and printers.

I've done a bit of research so far, and have found that h x w has been used by museums and architects for hundreds of years. However, paper, printing, and technology (most of our graphic design software and screen sizes) use width x height. I wonder how far back THIS convention can be traced.

I was planning to write about this for my next e-newsletter, but had no idea it would be such a complex mystery!

I look forward to your insight!
Johanna

--

Johanna Goldfeld Design, LLC
Graphic and Exhibition Design

Visit my website: www.jgoldfeld-design.com
Sign up for my newsletter:
Pointers - Tips, ideas, and inspiration from the world of exhibition and graphic design