I would be very interested in this material as well.

Meg Justus
independent curator
Repeating History, "A GRAND yarn you can't put down." Janet Chapple, author of Yellowstone Treasures
http://mmjustus.com/fictionrepeatinghistory.html

We had a situation recently in which a local activist was unhappy with some of the content in an exhibit label.  It was a label for a campaign poster and the person involved was unhappy with what content we chose to include and what we cut out.  During subsequent dialog we believe we were able to educate this individual about some of the challenges of dealing with complicated subjects in a small gallery and limited space, and the importance of maintaining intellectual integrity as regards exhibit content.  The situation hasn’t gotten elevated, either politically or emotionally which was a success.

In order to manage any future situations more efficiently, we would like to generate some sort of policy statement about what we do in the event that we are approached by a visitor/stakeholder and asked to change exhibit labels or content.  If anyone has a policy excerpt covering such a situation I would love to take a look!

I can be reached directly at: [log in to unmask]

Regards,

Addison E Field

Curator of Collections & Exhibits

Juneau-Douglas City Museum