Hello all:

We have discovered some negatives in our collection to be deteriorating (vinegar syndrome). After consulting many conservators we will most likely scan these using archival methods then destroy the acetate analog negative.  My question relates to handling collection managment policy procedures for this process. We are destroying, but not destroying, collection objects. We're also not deaccessioning the material.  Does anyone have a recommended procedure for recordkeeping regarding this process of essentially transferring format?  I would like the action to appear on some official meeting minutes related to our collections, probably at a board committee level.  Any precedent out there for record keeping in this situation? The only reasonable analogy I can come up with is migrating born -digital material as technology progresses (floppy disk to CD, etc, etc).

Thanks for your feedback!

Erin.

__________________
Erin Crissman Richardson
Director of Collections
The Fenimore Art Museum/NYSHA  and The Farmers' Museum
PO Box 800
Cooperstown, NY 13326
p: 607.547.1521
online @ The Farmers' Museum(r)<http://www.farmersmuseum.org/> and Fenimore Art Museum<http://fenimoreartmuseum.org/>