Christa -

The adhesives used in museums and archives are used specifically and are not interchangeable. It really depends on what you have to adhere and the conditions of storage / exhibit and/or use.

Acryloid B-72 is a methacrylate co-polymer commonly used to mend ceramics but it would not be a good choice for glass. Most commonly Acryloid B-72 is used in object labeling systems in museums. Rhoplex is an acrylic emulsion-based adhesive, sometimes with a high ph, that is used to mend or adhere fabric and paper or leather. There are several formulations under the Rhoplex name with different properties - some are heat setting. Even though Rhoplex can be used on paper-based materials it may not be the best choice for documents and prints as there are more reversible and neutral adhesives.

Do not just throw any adhesive at a situation without knowing what is best for the object or document.  I can't begin to tell you how much fun it is for a conservator to deal with old adhesives - they often create damages the object wouldn't have had and can double or triple the hours in a conservation treatment.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA