One of my favorite online exhibits about preservation is from the Fitzwilliam Museum at Cambridge University – in 2006 some major Chinese vases on exhibit were destroyed during an incident involving a museum visitor and the website shows how they were put back together:

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/gallery/chinesevases/

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Kroslowitz
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] exhibiting preservation

Hello listers,

I’m interested in examples of museums and archives that have exhibited preservation and/or active conservation treatments. By that, I mean placed the actual processing or treatment “on display” – either physically or virtually – and included collections staff and conservators. Can anyone cite such a project and preferably provide a url?

NMAH’s Star Spangled Banner project comes close – but the actual treatment process was not on display.  The California Academy of Sciences Project Lab is an example of what I’m seeking - http://www.calacademy.org/academy/exhibits/projectlab/.

Thanks everyone!

-Karen

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Karen Kroslowitz

Senior Registrar & Collections Manager

Computer History Museum

1401 N. Shoreline Blvd.

Mountain View, CA  94043

v: 650-810-1022

f: 650-810-1055

e: [log in to unmask]

Join the CHM Revolution!

Confidentiality Notice: This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, forward, distribute, use or copy this email or its contents. If you are not the named addressee, please notify the sender immediately by return email that you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system.