 From: Melissa Prycer <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:20 PM
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Collecting neighborhood stories with digital tools

My
institution is situated on land that has been a city park since 1876.  Our
spot is the center of a diverse neighborhood, and many local institutions got
their start here.  Periodically, we get visitors that come in and say “I
remember swimming in the pool that used to be here.”  Or “I
went to the elementary school across the street” and so on.  We have
always loved these stories, but we haven’t done anything to formally
collect them.

We
are in the very early stages of researching a new, semi-permanent exhibit on
the history of the park, the neighborhood and the museum.  In addition to
archival research, we want to capture as many memories as possible.  And
we want to collect these memories indefinitely.  We’ll collect them
in a variety of ways, including a simple form that could be filled out by
drop-in visitors.  But right now, I’m trying to figure out the best
way to collect memories online.

We’re
a very small staff (just 4 full-time), and I don’t have an IT department
to create something from scratch.  I’m thinking (though other ideas
are welcome!) about creating a wiki or a separate facebook page for the
project.  I think it’s crucial that whatever we do is something that
visitors can upload memories or photos to themselves.  Some tiny bit of
control on our part (mainly to prevent spam), but not something that requires
daily checking.

So
for those of you who have done similar projects: what sort of online tools did
you use?  Any advice?  If you’ve used a wiki, which service did
you use?  Anything I need to be sure and look for as I’m weighing my
options?  And any other folks doing similar projects that I should keep my
eyes on?

Thanks!
Melissa

Melissa Prycer