From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Juetian Luo
Sent: 18 January 2012 15:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Sensitive topic: Do you insure your collection?

Dear colleagues,

We are trying to get insurance coverage for our collection. I have a question: Is your museum's collection insured by commercial insurance agency? If so, do you buy insurance for all of your collection (i.e., 100% of the colln)? It is expensive to insure our entire collection of about 160,000 artefacts. We are thus reviewing how we could optimally insure the collection without paying through our nose.

Does your museum have insurance coverage for a predetermined number of artefacts and not the entire colln? (or buy insurance only for a fraction of the collection's valuated price?

I would like to have a sense of how other museums do it that will not compromise our obligation of accountability as custodian to the colln. I hope it's convenient for you to share a short note with me on what your museums do. I will also be happy if you wish to point me to any articles on this topic.

I look forward to your advice, on or off line, whichever suits you better.

Thank you in advance!

- A registrar in distress.