Hi Lisa!

I agree with Cindy's comments about finding out what the director is wanting to achieve with music in the galleries. I also wanted to mention the issue of music licensing, which can be complex and challenging and should definitely be brought up with your director. There is a helpful article on the subject on AAM's website: http://www.aam-us.org/pubs/webexclusive/licensing.cfm

At my museum, we (quietly) play swing music in one corner of our WWII exhibit to evoke a mood and it seems to go over well with visitors. We don't have a license for it, but since admission to our institution is free, I believe we are technically exempt.

Best,

-Anna Musun-Miller.

Curator

Johnson County Museum of History