The other thing to remember is that you cannot just take a cd and plug it into a sound system.  You need to either find music in the public domain or figure out how to pay for the rights.  Many people on this list have delightful stories of their encounters with BMI about music that was or was not played in their galleries or at public events.  You will need to look into this before you do anything.  I think there is an information sheet on it at the AAM website (it was a big deal a couple of years ago).

Best,
Claudia

Claudia J. Nicholson
Executive Director
North Star Museum of Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting
2640 Seventh Avenue East
North St. Paul, MN 55109-3103
651-748-2880
www.nssm.org