Lots of great advice!  In addition to translating our room labels into Spanish, we’ve also just completed translating our audio tour into French, Portuguese and Creole in addition to the English and Spanish that we originally offered.  We ran into many of the issues cited by other posters, particularly with the different “versions” of Spanish.  We called what we were aiming for “neutral” Spanish J  In addition to the professional translators associated with the production, we found it to be incredibly useful/necessary to have additional native speakers, and also ones who are familiar with our institution specifically (it’s quirky) as well as art and historical terms as additional editors and proofers.  In addition, we too utilized our volunteers who were native Spanish speakers for these projects.

We always strove for accuracy of translation as opposed to literal.  In addition, these “extra” proofers and editors provided invaluable guidance regarding cultural issues that non-natives, and non-professionals (translators, art historians, historians, etc.) simply couldn’t or didn’t catch.  We also found their guidance necessary in choosing the appropriate voices and tones for these tours, many of which had cultural implications that to “English ears” just went un-noticed so we’ve been very grateful for this additional, subtle, yet very important input into a final quality product.

For our written materials, we currently utilize English and Spanish as those are the major languages mostly used by our community.  English appears on top with Spanish immediately underneath.  In our Family Guides, the languages are differentiated by color of text but are in the same font and size as English. For our room labels, there is a line separating the two texts, all font and sizes are the same, and we use more subtle color variations between the two languages to help distinguish.

We provide completely separate visitor maps for English and Spanish and soon will provide the same for Portuguese, French and Creole.

Thanks,

Ann

Ann M. Loshaw

Deputy Director for Learning