I have used both the thin wrap-around UV filters and the solid tube type with black plugs on the ends. The wrap around types were actually much easier to deal with in terms of handling but my understanding was that they were only effective for a few years - nothing like the 10 years described in the link you included. The only other thing that I remember about them - in the past at least - is that as some bulbs burned out the extra heat (typically at the ends of the bulbs) caused the filters to bubble and stick. Even though most - with effort - could still be removed from the bulb I always wondered if their effectivness was reduced. I am curious to hear others experiences.
Regards,

T. Ashley McGrew

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 11:14:54 -0500
From: Whitney Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: UV filters for fluorescent tubes

Hi all,
Apologies for cross-posting.
I was wondering if any of you had experience/advice relating to wraparound UV filters for fluorescent tubes (like these, from Gaylord: http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=2424&search_by=desc&search_for=uv&mpc=WW).

Thanks!
Whitney A. J. Robertson
Museum Collections Manager
The Society of the Cincinnati