These items with arsenic need to be wrapped in polyetylene bags and
segregated from the rest of the collection in an area set up for
contaminated objects. The bags need to be clearly labeled as to the hazard.
Consider anything else in storage near these items to be contaminated too
unless testing proves they aren't. All due caution in this. It is far
easier to deal with contaminated objects than contaminated staff or
visitors.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA

On Dec 16, 2011 11:37 AM, "Upham Mansion" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thank you for the responses so far...
>
> No plans on being too up close and personal with these items - but they
are
> intermingling in a closet with other textiles and come out on display
during
> the winter months - mainly on mannequins or on a bed.
> Kim

Behalf
> [...]
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Arsenic in furs
>
> It is possible, if you wear nitrile gloves and don't put your face in them
> and inhale deeply the furs you should be fine. :)  Oh and try to resist
the
> urge to lick them. :D
>
> On 12/16/11, John E Simmons <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Arsenic was commonly used in preparing taxidermy mounts (usually as
> > arsenical soap that was rubbed inside the skin) and study skins of
> > animals (usually as arsenic powder that was dusted inside the skin).
> >
> > It is unlikely that arsenic was used in the preservation of skins that
> > were worn as clothing because the methods of application.
> >
> > It is possible that arsenic powder could have been used for pest
> > control when the objects were not being worn, however.
> >
> > --John
> >
> > John E. Simmons
> > Museologica
> > 128 E. Burnside Street
> > Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
> > 303-681-5708
> > www.museologica.com
> > and
> > Adjunct Curator of Collections
> > Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery Penn State University
> > University Park, Pennsylvania and Lecturer in Art Juniata College
> > Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Upham Mansion
> > <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Fellow Listers,****
> >>
> >> ** **
> >>
> >> I am trying to determine (before spending funds on a test kit) if the
> >> fur coats, stoles and muffs we have in our collection may contain
> >> arsenic.****
> >>
> >> I've looked online, read the NPS information CCI information and the
> >> Museum Listserve archives and have learned that a form of arsenical
> >> soap was used in the preservation process for taxidermy (mainly to
> >> prevent insect infestation) but my question is-  is there a
> >> possibility that our furs (some dating back to the early 1900s)
> >> contain arsenic?****
> >>
> >> Thank you!****
> >>
> >> ** **
> >>
> >> Kim Krueger****
> >>
> >> Coordinator****
> >>
> >> North Wood County Historical Society****
> >>
> >> 212 W. 3rd****
> >>
> >> PO Box 142****
> >>
> >> Marshfield, WI 54449****
> >>
> >> 715.387.3322****
> >>
> >> ** **

> > --

> > Important Subscriber Information:
> >
> > The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
> > http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed
> > information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail
> > message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
> read "help"
> > (without the quotes).
> >
> > If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message
> > to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read
> > "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes).

"Signoff