From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Meg Justus
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 5:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] local controversies and exhibits

I am an independent curator and exhibit designer who is currently researching and building an exhibit for a local historical society about the story of their city's incorporation, the drive towards which started as early as the 1930s, but was not resolved by a successful vote of incorporation (after several unsuccessful tries) until 1995.

In the course of the research interviews I have conducted with the folks who were involved in the incorporation effort, both for and against, I have run up against the information that the main group working behind the scenes to prevent incorporation consisted of people who still have a great deal of clout in the city, and while people named names off the record, no one was willing to do so on-record.  The publicly available printed documentation of the incorporation effort does not name names, either.

I am not a journalist, nor do I have any journalistic training.  I was a librarian before I started working in the museum field, and while my museum certification program (at the University of Washington) did discuss the larger realm of controversy in exhibits, local controversies like this were not mentioned.  So I'm in somewhat over my head (when I took the job I didn't realize this was going to be an issue).

How would you handle something like this?  I have a meeting with my contact at the museum (the president of the board) later this week, and I would like to present her with several viable alternatives.  She does not seem to be concerned about backlash on the Society, although I think perhaps she should be, but that may not be the point.

Any thoughts?

Meg Justus