Hi all,

I have been thinking about changing the way our museum approaches
membership versus annual giving, since it routinely confuses the heck out
of everyone.  My idea is in the very rough stages (as in, I have mostly
been thinking about it during my commute for the last couple of days) but I
wanted to see if anyone else has tried anything like this, or what

My thought is to sort out who our members are a little more.  There are
those who want free admission.  They generally purchase the lowest cost
memberships.  Then there are those who want to be financial supporters of
the museum.  They generally buy higher priced memberships, and donate to
the annual fund.  Obviously the two groups are not mutually exclusive, but
that's the general pattern.

Has anyone ever tried offering an "annual pass" for frequent visitors?  I
am even thinking about a punch card style pass.  For $x, you get up to x
number of free visits.  Then we could have what I'm thinking of as a
"museum lover's pass" which would include the NARM sticker and be a bit
more expensive and more traditional with unlimited visits to the museum for
a year.  Then add what I'm calling Museum Affinity Groups to give people a
way to support the museum and give us a way to discover their particular
interests.  For example, the Education Affinity Group would pay $x
annually, get a discount on admission and on ed programs, and get bonus
information about those programs.  The Collector's group would get
occasional bonus lectures from the curator, tours of collections, and so
on.  You could purchase an annual pass and an affinity group, if you were
so inclined.  Maybe do some kind of combo deal.

I don't know if this would just confuse people MORE or if it would help
people understand that their annual fund donation is different than their
membership. I wonder what impact it would have on the bottom line.  I also
don't know how to transition from what we have now (traditional membership
program) to this new idea, if we do.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

--
Deana R. Mallory
Interim Executive Director

Supporting Bennington Museum has never been easier!  Click
here<http://www.benningtonmuseum.org/annual-giving.html> to
make an online contribution to our Annual Fund.