We are a small museum run by a historical society that also has a small archives.  The staff is comprised of three part-time staff members and a few volunteers, so our time is somewhat limited, and like many other cultural and historical institutions everyone wears many hats.  We charge $0.50 for photocopies and have a digital image reproduction price list that varies depending on whether the image is for personal or for-profit use.  Increasingly we are receiving requests by phone and email from out-of-town individuals asking for more extensive research, scans to be emailed, etc.  I am wondering if other comparable institutions are charging research fees and how much?  I am including a copy of our photographic reproductions policy, I do not think it is comprehensive by any means, but I would appreciate seeing similar examples from other institutions as well.

Thanks,

Jamie Martin Alter
Curator
Bastrop County Historical Society Museum

Photographic Reproductions Policy

Bastrop County Historical Society’s collection at the Museum includes more than 900 objects of historical significance, which date from the time before the founding of the City to recent decades. The Collection also includes historical documents, personal letters and photographs. The Collection is to be used for research, exhibitions and publications. It is given the highest level of care and protection, and held in perpetuity for the public purposes of the Society.

Image duplication decisions are made on a case by case basis by the Museum’s staff. Some materials cannot be photocopied, photographed or scanned due to condition or other restrictions. This document and attached forms explain the conditions for duplicating material.

Copyright permission is not required for photographic duplication for personal use or research use in cases where the Society controls copyright. Clearance of copyright is always the responsibility of the person wishing to publish or display material.

In all cases, written permission to publish or display reproductions of the Society’s materials must be secured from the Society as owner of the physical property prior to use of the material. Patrons must fill out a Request for Permission to Publish or Use Reproduction of Materials form.

Cameras, digital cameras and video equipment may only be used with special permission from the Museum staff.

The digital images on the Museum’s web site may be reproduced for non-profit classroom use without charge, provided appropriate credit is given. When crediting images from this site for non-profit classroom use, please use: "Courtesy Bastrop County Historical Society Museum, Bastrop, Texas." Commercial use of digital images on the Museum’s web site is prohibited without prior permission form and payment of fees to the Bastrop County Historical Society.

Reproduction Price List

Photocopies- $.0.50 per page

Includes pages from books, documents from files and newspapers.  The museum does not photocopy original photos from the collection.

Digital Images-* Includes photographs and documents that have been scanned by the Museum staff.  See the price schedule below for usage fees:

For personal use -$15.00 for the first two, then $10.00 per image after that.

For use by non-profit organizations or for use by educational facilities -$25.00 per image

Images to be published for advertising-Includes, but not limited to, brochures, books, films, websites and for display in a business- $40.00 per image

*All digital images will include “Courtesy of Bastrop County Historical Society”

Delivery

Images will be delivered in 2 weeks. A handling and postage fee of $6.00 per order is charged for orders that must be mailed out. No handling fee is charged for orders picked up at the Museum.

Reproduction Policy Updated 11/10/11

Request for Digital Image(s)

Date: __________

Pre-payment is required for all photograph orders.

Name ________________________________________________________________________

Institution _____________________________________________________________________

Address ______________________________________________________________________

Telephone ______________________________    E-mail _______________________________

 These reproductions are for personal use only.

These reproductions are for use by a non-profit organization or educational facility.

 These reproductions are for publication or display. I am attaching a Request for Permission to Publish or Use Reproduction of Materials form.

Delivery  Pick up              Mail

Description

Object ID

Collection

Reproduction format

Size

Terms of Use:

In all cases, written permission to publish or display reproductions of the Society’s materials must be secured from the Society as owner of the physical property prior to use of the material. Patrons must fill out a Request for Permission to Publish or Use Reproduction of Materials form.

All images that are published or displayed must include the Society’s credit line alongside the image. A complimentary copy of the final publication in any medium using reproductions of the Bastrop County Historical Society Museum materials must be donated to the Museum.

________These reproductions are for personal use only.  I agree to be legally responsible for any unauthorized copy, publication, or public display of any reproduction.  I certify that the information on this form is correct.

________These reproductions are for publication, display or for use by Non-profit organizations or educational facilities. I agree to be legally responsible for any unauthorized copy, publication, or public display of any reproduction, and will credit the Bastrop County Historical Society for the image.  I certify that the information on this form is correct.

I have read and agree to comply with the Bastrop County Historical Society policies as outlined above.

Signature ______________________________________________ Date _______________

Request for Permission to Publish or Use Reproduction of Materials

I hereby request permission from the Bastrop County Historical Society to publish or to use in facsimile reproduction the materials listed below, for which the Society has ownership rights. The permission granted is for a single use of the materials in a publication, exhibit or other medium. Subsequent use of the materials, including reprints or new editions of a publication, requires a separate request for permission to publish. By signing this form I acknowledge that I understand and agree to the following stipulations.

I understand and agree that in giving its permission the Society retains its right to publish these materials or to grant permission to others to do so, and that I am responsible for publishing or for using in facsimile reproduction these materials in accordance with the copyright protections established in the United States Copyright Law.

The reproduction will be used for:

 Publication                      Name, Date and Type of publication: _____________________________

 Exhibit                             Name, Location(s) and Date(s) of Exhibit _________________________

 Other                                Include Use, Location and Date _________________________________

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_____________________________________________________________________________

 I agree to use the following credit line when I publish or use in facsimile reproduction the materials identified below.

Credit line; Courtesy Bastrop County Historical Society Museum, Bastrop, Texas

Material to be published or used in facsimile reproduction

Description

Object ID

Collection

I agree to the conditions above and will provide the Bastrop County Historical Society a gratis copy of the final publication or other product that utilizes these reproductions.

Bastrop County Historical Society Authorization

The Bastrop County Historical Society hereby authorizes you to publish or to use in facsimile reproduction the materials identified above, for which the Society has ownership rights.

 Permission denied for reasons stated below;