During the latter half of the 1990s, I served as a Life Trustee on the Board of Trustees of the Andrew Carnegie Free Library and Music Hall (which includes a small Civil War Museum) in Carnegie, Pennsylvania.

How often does you board meet? Monthly

Do you compensate board members? No

Reimburse Travel Expenses? No

Meeting Stipends? No

The Andrew Carnegie Free Library and Music Hall was (and still is) one of the poorest public libraries in Western Pennsylvania. Hence, our Board members realize that there is no money for board member compensation, reimbursement, or stipends. They join the Board to provide their time (and some donations) to help the library.

The Andrew Carnegie Free Library receives funding from the state, county (Allegheny Regional Asset District), borough, and private donations. When I was Treasurer of the Board, the annual budget was around $150,000. Today, the annual budget is probably around $200,000.

The Andrew Carnegie Free Library and Music Hall is governed by a Declaration of Trust Agreement set-up by Andrew Carnegie:

http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com/trustcover.htm

Here is a copy of the Library's By-Laws, when I served on the Board:

http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com/By-Lawscover.htm

When I served on the Board, the Board of Trustees consisted of ten Life Trustees and seven Ex-Officio Trustees. Since I left the Board in 2000, the Trust Agreement and By-Laws have undergone several changes.

gaw

Glenn A. Walsh, Project Director,
Friends of the Zeiss < http://friendsofthezeiss.org >
Electronic Mail - < [log in to unmask] >
SPACE & SCIENCE NEWS, ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR:
< http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com/#news >
Twitter: < http://twitter.com/spacewatchtower >
Facebook: < http://www.facebook.com/pages/SpaceWatchtower/238017839577841?sk=wall >
Blog: < http://spacewatchtower.blogspot.com/ >
Author of History Web Sites on the Internet --
* Buhl Planetarium, Pittsburgh:
< http://buhlplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Adler Planetarium, Chicago:
< http://adlerplanetarium.tripod.com >
* Astronomer, Educator, Optician John A. Brashear:
< http://johnbrashear.tripod.com >
* Andrew Carnegie & Carnegie Libraries:
< http://andrewcarnegie.tripod.com >
* Civil War Museum of Andrew Carnegie Free Library:
< http://garespypost.tripod.com >
* Duquesne Incline cable-car railway, Pittsburgh:
< http://inclinedplane.tripod.com >
* Public Transit:
< http://andrewcarnegie2.tripod.com/transit >