I've had good success going directly to manufacturers such as GE and
explaining that the bulbs are for a museum. Sticking with known,
domestic manufacturers will help on your quality issues. No matter what
look for UL Listed bulbs. Many foreign manufacturers do not adhere to
the same standards and quality suffers in exchange for low prices. GE by
the way has an incandescent spot PAR38 MSP which is the correct
designation for "Medium Side Prong" Lamps (sometimes referred to as a
"Mine" or "Miner's" lamp because they were originally designed for
"spark-proof" fixtures in mines). The PAR designation refers to
"Parabolic Aluminized Reflector," or the Shape and Construction of the
lamp and these are available in both indoor and outdoor types. The
number '38' refers to the Diameter of the lamp in eights of an inch.
This is a standard in the lighting industry. For example a florescent
tube that is a T12 designation is a Tubular lamp and is 1 1/4" in diameter.

Bear in mind that color rendering will vary greatly between
manufacturers due to variations in materials and process. You also did
not indicate if you are using Halogen, LED, or incandescent lamps which
will also produce a very wide array of colors. Sylvania manufactures
PAR38 MSP Halogen bulbs in floods only - better color rendering but
limited application and harsh on collections. You'll likely find that
MSP base bulbs are not available in a broad range or many sizes (PAR38
and 46 being the common ones).

Not to take this too far but, depending on the fixtures you have, you
may want to look at changing either the fixture or broadening the types
of lamps you are using. In recessed cans you are pretty constrained to
using the bulb that the designer sized the can for. If you are using
track heads, sometimes it is not so obscene to use different size bulbs
based upon your needs. Check your fixtures as well as some
manufacturer's fixtures are adjustable for depth in order to accommodate
different bulb styles and diameters.

Good luck,

Larry Fisher
Museum Planning, Design, and Imagineering
p: (401)965-7756