Dear Kathie,

I know you and I have spoken before and your question is one we get a lot. That's a great question.

I want to recommend the StEPs program from AASLH  which was designed with small history museums in mind http://www.aaslh.org/steps.htm. The program does not have any eligibility requirements and you can apply anytime.  It has a wonderful self-study that breaks down standards with performance indicators. It is a self-paced program so you can work on it with your team at your own pace.

For museums that serve audiences with a variety of special programs, special hours, appointment only times, etc that could add up to 90 days, that counts towards eligibility for MAP. We've had many all volunteer organizations that have been through MAP.

I'm happy to talk more about the eligibility requirements.

Best,

Jill

Jill Connors-Joyner

Assistant Director, Museum Assessment Program

T: 202.289.9111  |  F: 202.289.6578

American Association of Museums

1575 Eye Street NW, Suite 400  |  Washington, DC 20005

www.aam-us.org