Hi Levon, In my experience, some as education director at a few places, I haven't seen a seperation between educational and prop.  Do you mean between collection and educational items?  In the places I've worked we had things that were taken to be in the collection, not to be used except in an exhibit, and educational items that could be used with school programs or in the sites as part of daily interpretation.  The collection policies and the documents for the gift were very clear as to which collection they were going into.  An item that was going into the education collection was taken with the express understanding on the part of the donor and the museum that the item would be used in it's intended manner and that this use could (and most like would) lead to the item becoming more worn, damaged, or used up to the point that it would need to be discarded.  Also, some of the items in the collections were either touch or no-touch.  Therefore the touch items could be brought out for a program, but not used for it's purpose.  This was also stated in the gifting documents, usually at the request of the donor. Hope this helps. John AdamikAgricultural Program ManagerHale Farm and VillageBath, OH  >Date:    Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:46:47 -0500