Greetings list members,

In our collection we have a sculpture that incorporates neon tubing, and I
am wondering if it should be kept illuminated 24 hours a day or turned off
at night.  I did some research on the Internet, and neon sign collectors
often have the belief that the lights should never be turned off because
they last longer if they are constantly lit.  This is related, in part, to
the idea that the transformers and switches wear out if the devices are
turned on and off frequently, as well as the idea that neon tubes can take
24+ hours to fully light up.  Do you all agree that they should be kept on
all of the time?

Apart from the obvious requirement to protect the glass from being broken,
are there any special things to consider when caring for and displaying neon
lighting?  I looked in WorldCat, and there do not seem to be any
museum-related books entirely about neon sculptures and signs. That said, I
suspect that there is published advice on this topic because many art and
historical collections include neon.  If anyone can point me toward such
writings, it would be most appreciated.

All the best,

Travis

--