Cass -

I've been doing variations of this since my days with Walt Disney Imagineering. Of course at WDI we made everything visible to our guests a part of the show.

I've found that often the best approach is to make an exhibit out of the project. Guests love to see a "work in progress" and get a sneak peek at whats coming. Of course that doesn't mean you want to just put up the old velvet ropes. I've often used contract documents such as blueprints, architectural drawings, exhibit plans, models, etc. as part of a graphic presentation on what is going on "behind the curtain" or in this case usually a temporary wall. All of the stuff we use to plan and prepare a renovation or new project is of great interest to the museum's guests. It is also a great opportunity to educate them on a broad range of museum issues such as conservation, collection management, environmental controls / systems, why you need their money - did I say why you need their money? You Bet! Why not use this as an opportunity to thank those who support you and possibly enlist others to the cause.

The old style peep hole approach is also good if safety, dust, etc. can be dealt with appropriately. Remember cut some lower to the floor for the kids to use. Just remember you don't want to give away the farm here, just provide a glimpse into an area of activity. I've even used an inexpensive remote video camera to create an interactive means for guests to see what is happening behind the wall. These cameras can be hooked up to your website for a virtual teaser of your new project as well. If you do the camera thing, or if you are less technical but can get your hands on a digital camera; set up a spot (some remote cams can be set up to do this automatically) where you can take pictures every half hour or so during business hours and then create a time lapse of your project being built. These films are a great tool for fundraising and for programs, events, openings, etc.

Feel free to call on me if you have any questions. Good luck with the work and your solution!

Larry Fisher
Planning, Design and Imagineering for Museums and Cultural Institutions
p:(401)253-5335
e: [log in to unmask]