Hello Museum-L

I've been consumed with thoughts about the practice of artists fees in museums (esp. contemporary art museums). I've attempted to search for books and articles, but have found very little on the subject so I wanted to see what other professionals have to say on the subject.

Does your institution pay artist fees?
How often do you implement the exposure-as-payment model?
When you have limited funds, what are your solutions to compensate artists?
Have you developed special programs to find support for these artists (ie lecture series, or educational programs for example)?
Should the artist assume that they won't get paid if they are exhibited?

Here at Rhizome, we always try to give something, however modest it may be, every time we exhibit artwork. Maybe it's all this OWS talk in the air, but I'm starting to question this practice, or perhaps lack there of, by institutions that support the arts. Are we doing enough? -- that's the big question.

I appreciate your candor and insight on any or all of these questions.

Thank you in advance.

---

Zoë Salditch
Program Manager