"Worth" is a subjective value. There is monetary worth - which most of the
public seems fascinated by. There is historic worth - which combines the
maker / owners / places / events that the object has in its provenance.
There is the functional worth - as indeed some objects such as vehicles and
some musical instruments have. The essential thing is that there is always a
tension between these various values and the need to preserve vs. the need
to display and to use, in some instances.

Personally I am a big believer in reproductions or reproduction components
(such as the action of an antique harpsichord) being primary for objects
being used. Historic objects and art are documents of their maker and
materials, their long lives and use, and as such should be preserved as over
time we are able to glean more information from objects than we did 30 years
ago, and so on.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant
Los Angeles CA