Dear Dr. Dogherty,
You will undoubtedly get many responses to this question. However your best answer will come via publications from the US Government where copyrights are registered and whose courts are used to enforce them, see - http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.pdf as a start.

The next step is your answer to the question; what do you own? You may own only the painting and not the any of the reproduction rights because copyright remains the property of the creator unless expressly transferred or the age of the work has moved it into public domain. Do you have any notion as to how the reproduction service acquired a copy of the painting, could it have been provided by a previous owner? Or would they had to have photographed it in your facility? And the bottom line is what do you want to have happen? Are you looking for restitution (copyright violations carry treble damages) or to protect the reputation of the institution?

My thoughts and suggestions,
Paul Stromdahl