Hello All,

Do any of your collections policies include a category for accessioned artifacts that receive regular use? This is different from a hands-on or educational-use category, in which the objects are understood to be eventually expendable. This category would include things that will be preserved but for practical reasons must also be used.

Our museum has some large accessioned pieces that are considered permanent collection, but are used in the galleries either by staff or visitors. One example is a clock, another is a piano. We’ve just acquired a large dining table that would also fall into this category if we decide to accession it into the permanent collection.

As we update our collections policy we want it to reflect the reality of how these things are used, and include a category that recognizes this “gray area” between permanent-collection-preservation and hands-on-use. I’d be grateful to know how other policies have addressed this.

With thanks,

Sharon Clothier

Curator of Decorative Arts

Oshkosh Public Museum