An interesting and informative article on this subject was published
recently:

Fleischer, S.V.  2010.  What once saved my life may now take it.
Identification, protection, and mitigation of health and safety hazards in
medical history collections.  Collections:  A Journal for Museum and Archive
Professionals 6(4):289-318

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Lecturer in Art