Amanda,

Honestly, I would stay out of this issue.  You should refer the donor to a tax lawyer for assistance with their appraisal.  For your part on the 8283, you do not need to comment on the appraisal quality or verify/agree on the values stated, it only asks the museum to verify that you received the donation within the tax year.  There are strict laws about who can act as an appraiser for IRS purposes and you need to get involved.  If you recommend someone, you and/or the institution can become embroiled with any dispute.  This is the reason you should not recommend appraisers either, if I have a donor who wants/needs an appraisal.  I send them to the various national appraisal websites and I always recommend the appraisal FAQ’s on the website of the North Texas chapter of the International Society of Appraisers to learn more about good/bad appraisals.  I never recommend or comment on the work/quality of an appraiser.

As for the appraisal, you can want whatever you want for the University; the donor does not have to provide you a copy of their appraisal unless you have made that a condition of acceptance or you paid for the appraisal.   As for the university needing appraised amounts for its insurance/records…that is the University’s responsibility, which may require it paying for its own appraisal.  Often a donor provides a copy of an appraisal for your records, which is fabulous, but you cannot count of this or if it is sub-par you will have to pay for your own.

Tracie Evans

Curator of Collections

Sauder Village

22611 St. Rt. 2