how about trying the national park service for help?

They repair, move and restore such structures.

Best wishes, Barbara, retired librarian

-----Original Message-----
From: Giles, Kirsti A. <[log in to unmask]>
To: MUSEUM-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, Sep 8, 2011 11:53 am
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Taking a log cabin apart

We are going to be taking apart a small log cabin. I am trying to figure out the best way to number the logs to ensure that the cabin can be put back together again some time in the future.  We also need to figure out the best way to attach the numbers to the logs.  I do not want to use tags but the logs are very dry.  Do you have any suggestions on numbering methods or materials?

Thank you