Photofly's Photo Scene Editor (PSE) is a wonderful tool which the Virtual World Heritage uses extensively. Itself a form of 3D scanning, PSE's strength is currently visualization, not documentation. For the latter, we need submillimeter accuracy, and to obtain that nothing compares to solutions such as laser and structured light scanners. But PSE is making great strides--version 2.1, released in July, is a big improvement over version 1.2--so it may someday soon be able to handle documentation as well.

--Bernard Frischer, Director
Virtual World Heritage Laboratory

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Randy Little <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 08:06:00 +0800
To: <[log in to unmask]>
ReplyTo: Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] 3D scanning and web publication?

Well 3d scanning is a bit old school unless its for research and you need super high topo detail.   The price of entry far exceeds new software technology that can work from taking several high res stills.
Autodesk even has a free service online to do this now.    I can go into more detail on how we use this in movies.  But unless its for specific research there are much cheaper ways then 3d scans or lidar scans
autodesk photofly is a low end of this but is a great example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGZXkSke_vI

Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com