Re: [MUSEUM-L] Plexiglas cleaning & paint Hi Robin,

By far the best product we have found over the years for removing latex paint and many other paints and other substances, including the adhesive of stuck-on plexiglas/acrylic protective paper masking sheets, is called Goof Off 2. Be sure it is Goof Off 2 and not Goof Off 1. 2 is safe to use on plastics, including clear acrylic. It is low odor and available at most hardware or paint stores, as well as Lowe’s and Home Depot. Its manufactured by Valspar Corporation, Wheeling, IL. It does produce hazardous vapors, so be sure to use it in a well ventilated space.

After you have completely cleaned the paint off the acrylic, wash the surfaces with warm water and a soft clean cloth. Then polish it with any good plastic cleaner/polishes such as Novus 1. If the acrylic has fine scratches on its surface, first use Novus 2 Fine Scratch Remover and then polish with Novus 1. For more serious scratches, rub those out with Novus 3 Heavy Scratch Remover, followed by 2, and finally polished with 1. The Novus polishes can be found at most glass companies, frame shops, some paint and home improvement stores. It can also be ordered from Outwater Plastics, United States Plastics Corp., Gaylord, etc.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
SKIP

Ralph Skip Rhodes
Principal/Creative Director