Our copy stand is a little older -- I believe we got it secondhand several years before I got here -- but it has a 36"H stand and a base that is 16"W. We use a piece of archival board to extend the base and give extra support to something larger than the base and I think the smaller base makes it easier to handle. Ours also doesn't have included light fixtures but we have a dedicated photographing area in our work room and several lights we can use when photographing any object so it really works for us to not have separate lights. As far as the height goes, I haven't heard any complaints about our copy stand being too short. If you have other collections that will be photographed without the copy stand I would opt for the 42"H stand w/o lights and get lights that can work without the copy stand. If you will only be using the copy stand, then I'd probably still opt for the taller stand and add lighting to it.

Hope this helps!
Jess