Good Afternoon Mary,

Here are my three simple bits of advice that I give emerging museum professionals….

These may, or may not, apply to your particular needs….but, here goes…..

1.)  Be willing to travel anywhere (this is most important) and spend at least three years working in a small museum with limited resources.  You will have a learning experience that they do not teach in academe and what you will learn will last you a lifetime.

2.)  Realize that having the "right" attitude on the job will reap more dividends than you can imagine.

3.)  Don't take yourself too seriously.  Maintain a sense of humor.....have fun......and as the Cub Scouts say, "Do Your Best!"

Thanks for asking and best wishes for success!

Wesley

Wesley Creel

Administrator of Programs

Pink Palace Family of Museums