Nan -

You should consult a paintings conservator for the ballpark settings for x-radiography of paintings - you should contact other museums with Cassat's in their collections. Medical X-rays use low Kv and high Ma settings with very short exposure times for looking at human tissues. Industrial radiography is almost the opposite with high Kv settings, low Ma settings, and longer exposure times.

There are also other sources used in radiography that may be better than using a standard x-ray tube system.

You will have to bracket several exposures to get the best results.

Cheers,
Dave

David Harvey
Senior Conservator and Museum Consultant