Laura,
We treat digital scans as accessions.  The donor is asked to sign a form that allows us to sell the photos to publishers, etc., and that we have the rights to use the photos as we wish.

We still come across photos that were given to the museum years ago that have no accession history.  These are given a unique number that we recognize as having no donor history.

When producing two books on local history, where people brought in their scans to contribute to the book.  We considered the whole “scanning day” as one accession, but had each contributor sign the form.
David Lynx
yakimamemory.org