Hello,

I am working with a collection that over the years has had multiple people working on it and have discovered some hidden ‘treasures’ like artifacts with the same acquisition numbers…

One of the labeling procedures involved using Gesso as a basecoat – and whoever applied it thought a liberal amount was a good idea. I’ve tried to find information on how to remove Gesso from various material ranging from wood to cast iron. What is the best way to remove the Gesso? Is it still used as a base coat?

Thank you!

Kim Krueger

Coordinator

North Wood County Historical Society