From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Margaret Geiss-Mooney
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] elastic fabric

Good afternoon, MuseumLers - If the fabrics (elastic denim or corduroy)
are relatively new (last 20 years or so), the fabric is probably made
from a blend of cotton, polyester and spandex fibres. Unfortunately, the
spandex fibre does not have good archival ageing characteristics (it's
based on polyurethane and has to have a variety of stabilizers, like
antioxidants, and finishing agents added to it during the manufacturing
process). It would NOT be a viable alternative to 100% cotton muslin.
Perhaps a call to a local hotel or commercial laundry will yield a
donation of enough 100% cotton sheets that can't be used any more due to
tears?

Please feel free to contact me off-line if you need further
clarification or have additional questions.

Regards,

Meg

.   _  _  _  _  _  _  _   _ _   ___________

Margaret E. Geiss-Mooney

Textile/Costume Conservator &

Collections Management Consultant

Professional Associate - AIC

707-763-8694

..intern working on re-housing theatre costumes by making padded hangers
and muslin coverings for each costume. Unfortunately, the muslin ran
out, but we discovered a wealth of gray, elastic denim, or corduroy. We
don't have the means to test to determine if this fabric will
deteriorate over time, so my question is there a resource or anyone who
has experience with various fabrics to determine if this is a viable
alternative to the muslin?