Shelly, those may be the requirements of the IRS; however, I have experienced several occasions when a donor has either changed his/her mind, or the family has changed it for him/her—sometimes several times months later.  Until we have a signed Deed of Gift, we do not accession any collections.

Once a woman took 2 months to sign the deed, and then 3 days after I received it, she called to say she had changed her mind and wanted me to tear up the deed.  I had to explain to her that it was a legal document; therefore, I could not do that.  The State Attorney General’s Office had to confirm that indeed in North Carolina, a Deed of Gift issued by our office was a legal document.

MBJ

Martha Battle Jackson, Curator

Division of State Historic Sites and Properties

4620 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC  27699-4620

919-733-7862 ext 236; fax 919-733-9515

E-mail correspondence to and from this sender may be subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.
The views expressed by the sender may not reflect those of my agency.

 “The future, though imminent, is obscure.”  ~~Winston Churchill

 P Please, consider the environment before printing this e-mail.