Is the proposed space actually the parking garage proper or a retail space under the parking garage?  It seems that would change the response a bit.

Candace Perrya

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of jerry.symonds
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] museums and parking garages

Dear Samuel,

Much of my working life is spent in risk assessment so apologies if I sound the “Grim Reaper” here as I am also a keen advocate for museum presence in city centres! Some things to ponder before you take this any further, and very much echoing what Richard is saying:

  1. If your education remit is going to include Children then the traffic movement around the space could be high-risk. No one wants to get involved in litigation after some dreadful accident.

  1. Exhibition-wise, I can imagine your conservators and prospective lenders asking all kinds of questions about (just off the top of my head) vibration from the car park areas above, risk of flooding, oil leaks through the upper floors and exhaust emissions coming on through any ventilation ducts!

  1. I have never been to Portland, so my next comment is completely generic and could apply to any city centre: assuming the car park is open 24/7 will this mean a higher than average level of security needed to protect the exhibition area in high value artefacts are to be left there overnight, vis a vis opportunist vandalism?

But hey, I commend you for creative thought here!

Best Wishes,

Jerry Symonds – Senior Internal Auditor

Historic Royal Palaces

Hampton Court Palace