Joel beat me to it. If this book was donated explicitly for sale  and to raise money for the institution (as the questioner implied)then you should contact the donor for permission to put it in the permanent collection. Do they sign deed of gifts for the donations for sale? Are they the same deeds of gift? It might not be illegal or unethical to shunt the book to permanent collection if the donor has already signed a standard deed of gift giving the institution full ownership and control, but it is certainly good practice and donor care and feeding to keep their confidence.

Matthew White