Erin,
Setting the suggestions aside...
What is outlined in the rights agreement you have with the artist? Ownership rights can/are/should be clearly defined as part of acquiring, presenting or reproducing a copy protected piece of work. Do you own the complete rights (ownership of the work as well as all rights to reproduction) to the works you are presenting? Or do you just own the photos themselves (one can own art and not the right the reproduction). This agreement would be the basis for both the resident show as well as any traveling exhibit.

As for his desire that you destroy the pieces you printed for the show, what is his basis for this request, how is it outlined in your agreement?

Paul Stromdahl
Curator, Chief of Exhibits
Illinois State Museum

If you are simply displaying his work (the prints)