The National Trust for Historic Preservation is soliciting visionary and dynamic candidates for the Graham Gund Architect, a full-time endowed staff position with broad oversight responsibilities related to the conservation and preservation of the architecture and landscapes of the National Trust’s twenty-nine historic sites located across the nation, most of which are also National Historic Landmarks. The architecture and landscapes of National Trust Historic Sites are essential components to the individual stories - as well as to the collective narrative of preservation – and the Architect will oversee the timely, practical, and appropriate delivery of technical services to ensure their conservation and preservation.

The Architect reports to the Vice President of Historic Sites, and works as part of the Historic Sites Department, a collaborative team based at National Trust headquarters in Washington, D.C.  The Department, in partnership with our colleagues in the field – particularly Site Directors and other Site staff - works to ensure excellence in stewardship and preservation of its historic sites.  The successful candidate will collaboratively provide and support the conservation and preservation of the more than 400 roofed structures and approximately 4100 acres of land at those sites.  The candidate must be familiar with and supportive of best practices in the field of historic preservation, and have experience in architectural preservation or the architectural interpretation of culturally diverse sites.  Additionally, the candidate will embrace and actively promote the use of a variety of delivery systems to accomplish work and associated contracting at the sites, including design/build and IDIQ approaches, the use of owner’s representatives, and other various project management models.  The Architect is also responsible for managing an Associate Architect, an early career Fellow, and other staff as applicable.

More details and application instructions are available at http://www.preservationnation.org/career-center/nthp/chief-architect.html.

Please do not send queries about this position to me; I am only posting this job announcement as a courtesy to the listserv.

Max A. van Balgooy

Director of Interpretation and Education, Historic Sites Department | Director, Interpreting African American Historic Places Project
National Trust for Historic Preservation | 1785 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC  20036
Phone

Have you visited one of our historic sites?  You'll discover great architecture, extraordinary collections, and unforgettable experiences.  Begin your explorations at PreservationNation.org.