Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free web compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

*** "I love
reading Global Museum. I look forward to the articles every week. The
information keeps me informed about what is going on in the museum
community and urges me to explore museums and exhibits online that I may
have never known about. Thanks!" - User Feedback ***

Free Online
subscription. http://www.globalmuseum.org [1]

The international headlines
(FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBZINE at this address
http://www.globalmuseum.org [2] and click on the news links) in this week's
edition include:

** Iceman Had Bad Teeth
Ötzi the Iceman, the
5,300-year-old mummy found in the Italian Alps 20 years ago, suffered from
cavities, worn teeth and periodontal diseases   ** Tale of two halves
reunited after a 360-year separation
The painting by Huang Gongwang, who
lived at the turn of the 14th century, has taken on another meaning,
becoming a powerful symbol of how China is dealing with its past, and
emblematic of a growing closeness between mainland China and its bitter
rival, Taiwan   ** More Woes For New Museum
Just weeks before it opens its
brand spanking new Museum of Liverpool on the waterfront, there's
reportedly more woe for National Museums Liverpool

****
Global Museum's Annual Donation Appeal ****
We support170,000 Museum
Professionals and Followers in 201 countries and receive no grant or
government support from any source.
As one of the very few truly
independent news and service providers for the profession and those with an
interest in museums, we help cover our operating costs through donations.
My thanks to those people who have already made a small contribution - much
appreciated!
So I invite you to make a donation to keep Global Museum
'alive and kicking' for a further year.
Click
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FYCUNTUS7PT3N
[3] to learn more and support the
site.

**
It's so Surreal... the artist who forged himself
Experts are now certain
that the paintings are both Magritte originals, and believe he faked his
own work to raise cash   ** Georgia museum dishes the history of onions
If
a museum dedicated to onions sounds rooted in folly, the history behind the
famous Vidalia onion can likely hold its own with other veggie shrines such
as the Idaho Potato Museum, the Red River Valley Sugarbeet Museum in
Minnesota and the tiny Carrot Museum tucked in a Rhode Island
bed-and-breakfast   ** Free Terracotta Warriors iPhone App
You can witness
terracotta warriors come to life at the exhibition (for example, shooting
and reloading crossbows) via AR technology, which superimposes animated 3D
objects into the real exhibition gallery space   ** Bronze Age Brain
Surgeons
You might shudder at the mere thought of ancient brain surgery,
but recent studies of the practice at Bronze Age sites in Turkey suggest
that early neurosurgeons were surprisingly precise and that a majority of
their patients may have survived

ARE YOU ONE
OF THE 687?
Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet & Make Friends,
Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our
first 700 members - 687 have already met online. Join Today At
http://globalmuseum.ning.com
[4]

**
M Shed Bristol history museum is officially open
The museum will include
3,000 exhibits, drawn from the world class collection of the city, telling
the many thousands of stories of the people of Bristol, which have been
discovered through working with experts and communities across the city, a
process that will continue for the life of the museum    ** A Billionaire's
Eye for Art Shapes Her Singular Museum
The era of the world-class museum
built by a single philanthropist in the tradition of Isabella Stewart
Gardner, John Pierpont Morgan Jr. and Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney may seem
to have passed, but Alice L. Walton is bringing it back   ** Duchess will
visit Alberta site where her grandfather trained pilots
A tiny, normally
quiet aerospace museum in Calgary is in a frenzy of preparation for what it
hopes will be a royal visit of a personal nature   ** Daring rhino horn
robbery flops
Guards in the Liege natural science museum were alerted to
the robbery by a weird noise a little before closing time on Thursday

TWEET
TWEET - Follow Us On Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/globalmuseum
[5]
43,665 News Tweets, 1,789 Followers worldwide and growing
fast

**
Lady Gaga's Stinky Meat Dress Heading to a Museum
Lady Gaga's infamous meat
dress that she wore for the first time at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards
is going to be immortalized in a new exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of
Fame Museum in Cleveland, Ohio    ** Antique thief contrite
The man accused
of stealing an antique gold ring from the Frederic Remington Art Museum
last month tried twice to return it before he was arrested on Monday,
according to the museum executive director    ** Renovation of Dutch
national museum, home of Rembrandt's 'Night Watch,' near done
Inside,
maze-like corridors have been scrapped in favour of large spaces and high
ceilings, with a central "gallery of honour" restored to its initial
appearance, evoking the vault of a gothic cathedral   ** Plans for Pope
Pius XII museum revealed
A leading Italian politician is giving his support
to plans for a museum in Rome to commemorate the memory of the wartime
pontiff, Pope Pius XII

Become
a FAN - Join 1,125 of us who Like Global Museum on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574
[6]?

**
The World's Weirdest Museums
There's nothing like a visit to a respected
cultural institution to foster the sense that you've spent at least some of
your vacation in an enriching way    ** First museum of world rugby to be
established
The Bill McLaren Foundation is leading the project to develop a
£4 million museum in Hawick, Roxburghshire, which will tell the story of
rugby and also hold Mclaren's famous meticulous pre-match notes - or big
sheets - and the substantial archive of matches that he's commented on   **
Japanese Museum Unveils A Giant Globe Made of 10,000 Live-Updating OLED
Panels
"Geo-Cosmos" is made up of 10,362 OLED panels that display
continuously-updating satellite footage of our tiny blue marble,
representing what our planet looks like from space in something close to
realtime   ** Museum uncovers Van Gogh painting of his brother
The Van Gogh
Museum said Tuesday its experts now believe one of Vincent van Gogh's
paintings previously thought to be a self-portrait actually depicts his
brother, Theo

@@@@
The Global Museum Daily Tweet. Global Museum's DAILY NEWSPAPER powered by
your museum tweets - Enjoy! http://paper.li/globalmuseum/1288898965
[7]

**
Herculaneum sewer sheds light on secrets of Roman life
This unprecedented
insight into the diet and health of ancient Romans showed that they ate a
lot of vegetables   ** British Museum named Museum of the Year by Arts
Fund
The accolade was awarded to the museum after the success of its
History of the World project which attempted to tell the world's history in
100 objects   ** Cultural Property Risk Analysis
The International
Symposium and Workshop on Cultural Property Risk Analysis will take place
in Lisbon on 2011 September 14-16.   ** Adult Art Workshops at Taliesin in
July and August
Spring Green, Wisconsin, June, 2011 - Two exceptional art
workshops are currently available and open for registration at Taliesin.
** Il decoro in tavola. Forme e colori di Guido Andloviz
Two conferences
(in Italian) in conjunction with the exhibit Il decoro in tavola. Forme e
colori di Guido Andloviz   All this and more for you at Global Museum - See
the latest museum JOBS, BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great
people posting their RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the
GM Social Network, Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum
Accredited Courses, Products & Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org [8]
First published on the Web in 1998 and going strong!

BLOG READERS & MUSEUM
WEB SITES - Use our RSS news feed on your site, from this address:
http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/GM2/gm.xml [9]

Links:
------
[1]